For individuals with felony convictions, finding employment can be a challenging journey. However, there is a silver lining in the form of temp agencies that are willing to give a second chance to those looking to rebuild their lives. In this comprehensive guide, we will explore the world of temporary employment and highlight 24 of the best temp agencies that are known for hiring felons.
What is a Temp Agency?
A temp agency, also known as a staffing agency or temp service, acts as an intermediary between employers and employees. These agencies contract with companies seeking temporary or seasonal workers, charging a fee for their services. Temp agencies often focus on various industries, including industrial, hospitality, healthcare, and more. Temporary jobs arranged through these agencies can potentially lead to permanent positions based on performance.
Four Reasons Why Felons MUST Apply With Temp Agencies:
- Broad Job Opportunities: Applying to temp agencies allows felons to access a multitude of job opportunities simultaneously, increasing the chances of finding a felon-friendly employer.
- Navigating Employer Policies: Temp agencies can help felons navigate different employer policies regarding criminal records, guiding them to opportunities that are more receptive to hiring individuals with past convictions.
- Urgent Hiring Needs: Many employers utilizing staffing agencies have immediate hiring needs, making them more likely to hire a felon who meets the job requirements.
- Small Business Opportunities: Small businesses frequently use temp agencies and may be more willing to overlook a criminal record, providing felons with valuable employment options.
How Does Temporary Employment Work?
Temp agencies offer both temporary and permanent job placements. Temporary jobs typically last for a predetermined period, often around 90 days, after which individuals may be hired directly by the client company. While some jobs are genuinely temporary, others can lead to long-term employment with salary increases and benefits.
How Much Can You Earn?
Earnings through temp agencies vary based on job positions and working hours. For instance, positions such as electricians, commercial drivers, and writers can earn hourly wages ranging from $14.81 to $35.14. Temp agencies also charge companies a percentage of the employee’s salary, expediting the job search process.
Do Temp Agencies Run a Criminal Background Check?
Most temp agencies conduct background checks, including criminal records. While some agencies may be strict, others may show leniency based on the applicant’s skills and qualifications. Being honest during the interview about past convictions is crucial, as transparency can enhance the chances of securing a job.
Small Local Temp Agencies Hire Felons:
Local temp agencies, especially independently owned ones, can be valuable resources for felons. These agencies may have fewer hiring restrictions than larger national counterparts, allowing for direct communication with the owner to explain the applicant’s situation and potential contributions as an employee.
List of Temp Agencies that Hire Felons:
- Aerotek (Felony must be over 7 years old to be considered)
- Artisan Talent
- Dillard & Associate Staffing
- Elite Staffing
- Express Employment
- Kelly Services (Note: Some jobs may be open to felons, contact local branch for details)
- Labor Ready (Specific jobs for specific employers may hire felons)
- Manpower (Felony must be over 7 years old to be considered)
- MVP Staffing (Some companies they hire for don’t require a background check)
- Nesco Resource
- Oasis Outsourcing
- Onin Group
- Pirate Staffing
- Pride Staff
- Reserves Network
- S&K Staffing (Michigan Only)
- Spherion (Felony must be over 7 years old to be considered)
- The Reserves Network
What Jobs Can a Felon Find at Temp Agencies?
Temp agencies offer a wide range of job opportunities for felons, including but not limited to:
- Clerical work
- Car mechanic
- Backroom stocker
- Parcel delivery
- Factory production worker
- Waiter or waitress
- Web developer
- Commercial driver
- Call center executive
Pros of Working With The Temp Agencies:
- Access to unadvertised job opportunities.
- Diverse job fields and multiple opportunities.
- Quick recruitment for urgent hiring needs.
- Over 2.5 million people employed under temp agencies.
- Potential for permanent job opportunities.
Cons That You May Face:
- Limited-duration employment contracts leading to job uncertainty.
- Temporary jobs may not always align with career aspirations.
Tips to Get Jobs at Temp Agencies With a Felon:
- Be honest during interviews about your past.
- Craft a polished resume highlighting skills and qualifications.
- Present yourself professionally during interviews.
- Persevere and stay optimistic, as success may not come immediately.
In conclusion, temp agencies provide a valuable pathway for felons to re-enter the workforce and build a successful career. By leveraging the opportunities offered by these agencies, individuals with criminal records can overcome the barriers to employment and embark on a journey toward professional growth and stability.