Finding a job as a felon can be a daunting task, especially in the transportation industry, which has strict hiring policies. However, not all hope is lost, as there are several trucking companies that hire felons. These esteemed corporations bestow an opportunity for redemption upon individuals who have transgressed in the past and seek to rehabilitate themselves. Herein, we shall present a comprehensive register of freight enterprises that employ ex-convicts, alongside the prerequisites for admission into their ranks.
List of Trucking Companies That Hire Felons
Requirements to Work in Trucking Companies That Hire Felons
Before delving into the index of trucking enterprises that extend job opportunities to ex-convicts, let us first scrutinize the criteria that most of these said companies mandate for the aforementioned population.
Background Check: All trucking companies will require a background check to be performed on applicants. This will include criminal history, driving record, and employment history.
Age Requirement: To gain admission to the majority of trucking positions, prospective candidates must meet the age threshold of 21 years or above.
Commercial Driver’s License (CDL): All establishments engaged in the business of transporting goods by road necessitate the acquisition of a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), which entails the successful completion of both a written and practical examination.
Physical Exam: Applicants must pass a physical exam, which includes drug and alcohol testing, to ensure they are fit for the job.
Driving Experience: Most trucking companies require at least one year of driving experience, although some may accept less.
Top Trucking Companies That Hire Felons
Here is a list of the top trucking companies that hire felons:
- Swift Transportation: Swift Transportation, a titan in the transportation industry in the United States, has a company policy of offering employment opportunities to individuals who have served their sentence for a criminal offense, with the caveat that they have no prior conviction of violent or sexual wrongdoing in the previous half decade.
- CR England: CR England is another large trucking company that hires felons. They require a minimum of three years since the last felony conviction and a clean driving record.
- Schneider National: Schneider National is a privately-held freight transportation company that selectively employs ex-convicts based on their individual case merits. The criteria for the company’s hiring process includes a mandatory five-year elapsed period since the last criminal conviction and a spotless track record as a driver.
- Roehl Transport: Roehl Transport is a Wisconsin-based trucking company that hires felons who have completed their sentence and have no convictions for violent or sexual offenses in the last five years.
- Covenant Transport: Covenant Transport is a trucking company that hires felons, provided they have completed their sentence and have no convictions for violent or sexual offenses in the last five years.
- USA Truck: USA Truck is a trucking company that hires felons, provided they have completed their sentence and have no convictions for violent or sexual offenses in the last seven years.
- Knight Transportation: Knight Transportation is a trucking company that hires felons on a case-by-case basis. They require a minimum of ten years since the last felony conviction and a clean driving record.
- Prime Inc.: Prime Inc. is a Missouri-based trucking company that hires felons, provided they have completed their sentence and have no convictions for violent or sexual offenses in the last ten years.
Q: Can felons get a CDL?
A: Yes, felons can get a CDL, provided they meet the requirements set by the trucking company. Refer to this article for more details.
Q: Will a felony prevent me from getting a trucking job?
A: Not necessarily. Many
Q: Can I still get hired by trucking companies with multiple felony convictions?
A: It depends on the trucking company’s policies and the severity of the felony convictions. Some establishments enforce an inflexible zero-tolerance stance against specific egregious offenses, whereas others may manifest a more indulgent approach dependent on individual circumstances.
Q: What benefits do trucking companies offer to their employees?
A: Trucking companies typically offer benefits such as health insurance, retirement plans, paid time off, and bonuses for safe driving and on-time deliveries.
Tips for Getting Hired by Trucking Companies That Hire Felons
Be Honest: It’s important to be honest about your criminal history during the application process. Trucking companies will conduct a background check, and dishonesty can lead to immediate termination.
Build Your Resume: Having a clean driving record and relevant work experience can increase your chances of getting hired by a trucking company. Consider taking a driving course or volunteering to drive for a local charity to build your resume.
Network: Reach out to other truck drivers and industry professionals for job leads and recommendations. Attend job fairs and industry events to meet potential employers.
Be Persistent: Finding a job as a felon can be challenging, but don’t give up. Apply to multiple companies and follow up on your application status.
Finding a job as a felon in the trucking industry can be difficult, but it’s not impossible. There are several trucking companies that offer employment opportunities to felons, provided they meet the company’s requirements. By following the tips outlined in this article and staying persistent, you can increase your chances of landing a job in the trucking industry. Remember, everyone deserves a second chance, and trucking companies that hire felons provide that opportunity. Good luck!